Saturday, September 20, 2014

Pyjamas in the air

A few years ago I was upgraded to first class on a Thai flight out of Bangkok and, for the first time, wore pyramid to sleep on a intercontinental flight. Yes, wearing slightly oversized, purple pants and shirt did look silly, but it sure was more comfortable than sleeping in jeans. Since then, I always carry pajamas with me on these overnight flights and usually change into them right after boarding and before take off.

Last night over dinner, before boarding another flight I mentioned this to a colleague flying with me and she told me she could never do that as she would feel awkward, with her wearing "private clothing" in a "public space". 

Sure, that has some merit, but I do not care what people think of me in that moment. I am tired and want to feel remotely comfortable for the next 8-12h. When I wake up after 6.5h sleep in my "sleeper" seat, I (and all other passengers) look pretty crappy ( and usually, nobody would leave home looking that way) no matter what I've worn, but at least I will have felt better...

And based on my (non-representative) flights in recent years, I have the feeling that more and more people are doing the same as I. Last night, before take off, at least four other people when to the lavatory to change into soft cotton clothing they had brought along...

No comments: